Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pink's Art Gallery 40/365

Day #40.... July 2, 2009


Today Pink and I went to an Art show in Highland Park. We came away with this piece of artwork by Julia Watkins. She did these amazing swirl paintings that had pictures in them. At first I thought they were just pretty colors and swirls but when you look closer (or actually from a further distance) you see what it really is. Here is what she wrote about the painting...


"Four Buddhist monks stand in prayer on a balcony overlooking a plaza in Laos. One on the far right beats a large drum with a mallet. Sound waves emanate from the drum.


Whether by divine intervention or just coincidence, I later learned that I had placed colors in the painting where they would reside in Hindu Chakras. Chakras are energy centers associated with colors that reside in and around the body.


On another note, I created this painting because the monks represented people in perfect harmony with the flow of energy. The energy seemed to emanate from their centers and tie into everything around them. Also, the drum and the sound it emits is very interesting because it represents to me creation from nothingness, a central Buddhist concept. Nothing was there but then then sound was spontaneously created, taking on its own life, reaching out and tying the city and its people together."


I was draw to this painting because I have been doing a lot of reading on Buddhism. I consider myself Christian, but I just love most of the Buddhist teachings. I have read a book by the Dalai Lama and I just love his philosophy and outlook on life. This painting is pretty bright, but it adds a nice splash of color in my room. I hung it in a place that I will see first thing when I wake up in the morning so hopefully it will inspire me and give me energy. I just love it!


Also, on a side note, I was so inspired by the art show today! I would love to exhibit my work one day... when I improve that is! haha I talked to some of the artists and they gave me some great tips! I also learned new ways of displaying my photography which I can maybe use if I do in fact start doing some shows! There was even a youth section and these kids were amazing!!! This one girl did photography and her pictures were probably better than mine!! Kinda discouraging... but I guess I have only been doing this since April so we are probably on the same level... haha



No comments:

Post a Comment